National Centre for Food Manufacturing
College of Science
About William Hayes
I originally did a degree in Food Technology at HCHE (now known as the University of Lincoln) and stayed on to do a PhD investigating a novel fermenter for producing fuel ethanol. Shortly after my PhD, I took a job as the technician in charge of the food analytical laboratory. The lab was subsequently expanded to support Forensic Science. I made a move into Animal Behaviour some years later as an analyst for stress markers in animal samples. My current work as a Research Assistant is the measurement of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) for early detection of food spoilage.
I am employed to carry out analytical work for a specific funded Innovate UK project. I occasionally carry out analyses for food companies who approach NCFM with a specific problem. I represent NCFM on the University Research Ethics Committee.
PhD Biochemical Engineering
— University of Lincoln, 1998
BSc Food Technology
— University of Lincoln, 1993
- Hudaib, Taghread and Hayes, William and Brown, Sarah and Eady, Paul E. (2017) Seed coat phytochemistry of both resistant and susceptible seeds affords some protection against the granivorous beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Journal of Stored Products Research, 74 . pp. 27-32. ISSN 0022-474X
- Webster, Ben and Hayes, William and Pike, Thomas W. (2015) Avian egg odour encodes information on embryo sex, fertility and development. PLoS ONE, 10 (1). ISSN 1932-6203
- Part, C. E. and Kiddie, J. L. and Hayes, William A. and Mills, Daniel and Neville, Rachel F. and Morton, D. B. and Collins, Lisa (2014) Physiological, physical and behavioural changes in dogs (Canis familiaris) when kennelled: testing the vailidity of stress parameters. Physiology and Behavior, 133 . pp. 260-271. ISSN 0031-9384
- Hayes, William A. and Mills, Daniel S. and Neville, Rachel F. and Kiddie, Jenna and Collins, Lisa M. (2011) Determination of the molar extinction coefficient for the ferric reducing/antioxidant power assay. Analytical Biochemistry, 416 (2). pp. 202-205. ISSN 0003-2697
- Hudaib, Taghread and Hayes, William and Brown, Sarah and Eady, Paul (2010) Effect of seed moisture content and D-limonene on oviposition decisions of the seed beetle Callosobruchus maculatus. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, 137 (2). pp. 120-125. ISSN 0013-8703