Niroshan is an academic general practitioner and director of the Community and Health Research Unit, the research centre for the School of Health and Social Care which he founded. After studying at the City of London School as Corporation of London music scholar, he completed medical training at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, where he was awarded the Kirke’s scholarship in Clinical Medicine. After house jobs at ‘Bart’s’ and Hackney Hospitals, and general medical training at Hillingdon Hospital, he undertook his general practitioner training in Lincolnshire. He has been a GP since 1990 and continued in practice until 2015. Since embarking on an academic career he has continued providing clinical and academic leadership in primary and prehospital care.
He is interested in quality improvement and implementation research using a range of methods (systematic reviews, observational and qualitative studies, experimental methods and clinical trials) to identify and address important gaps in primary and prehospital (ambulance) healthcare provision.
His work is supported and funded by the National Institute for Health Research (Programme Grant for Applied Research, Health Technology Assessment, Health Services and Delivery Research, and Policy Research Programmes), Research Councils UK (EPSRC, MRC), European Commission (FP7 and Horizon 2020), and major charities (British Heart Foundation, Wellcome Trust, Health Foundation, Burdett Trust). He has published in leading journals including the BMJ, Vaccine, Stroke, Sleep, Canadian Medical Association Journal, Annals of Family Medicine and Annals of Emergency Medicine. He is coauthor of Quality Improvement in Primary Care: the Essential Guide.
Key publications (orcid.org/0000-0003-2484-8201):
1. Siriwardena AN, Shaw D, Essam N, Togher F, Davy Z, Spaight A, Dewey M. The effect of the Ambulance Services Cardiovascular Quality Initiative on prehospital care for acute myocardial infarction and stroke in England. Implementation Science 2014; 9:17.
2. Huedo-Medina T, Kirsch I, Middlemass J, Klonizakis M, Siriwardena AN. Effectiveness of non-benzodiazepine hypnotics in treatment of adult insomnia: meta-analysis of data submitted to the Food and Drug Administration. British Medical Journal 2012; 345: e8343.
3. Siriwardena AN, Asghar Z, Coupland C. Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination and risk of stroke or transient ischaemic attack—Matched case control study. Vaccine 2014; 32: 1354-1361.
4. Siriwardena AN, Gwini S, Coupland C. Influenza vaccination, pneumococcal vaccination, and the risk of acute myocardial infarction: matched case-control study. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2010; 182 (15): 1617- 1623.
5. Gwini SM, Coupland C, Siriwardena AN. The effect of influenza vaccination on risk of acute myocardial infarction: self-controlled case-series study. Vaccine 2011; 29: 1145-1149.
6. Ankolekar S, Fuller M, Cross I, Renton C, Cox P, Sprigg N, Siriwardena AN, Bath P. Feasibility of an ambulance-based trial, and safety of glyceryl trinitrate, in patients with ultra-acute stroke: the ‘Rapid Intervention with Glyceryl trinitrate in Hypertensive stroke Trial’ (RIGHT, ISRCTN66434824). Stroke 2013; 44: 3120-3128.
7. Gillam SG, Siriwardena AN, Steel N. Pay-for-performance in the UK: the impact of the Quality and Outcomes framework – systematic review. Annals of Family Medicine 2012; 10: 461-468.
Quality improvement and implementation science in primary and prehospital health care
Chair, National Ambulance Research Steering Group, 2007 -.
Chair, Regional Management Board, Research Design Service NIHR East Midlands, 2012 -.
Chair, PRIME Centre Wales (Wales Centre for Primary and Emergency Care Research) External Advisory Board (Funding: Health and Care Research Wales), 2016 -.
Chair, Prehospital critical care and out-of-hospital cardiac arrest steering group (Funding: NIHR doctoral fellowship), 2016 -.
Chair, Out of Hospital Cardiac Arrest Outcomes (OHCAO) Project Academic Committee (Funding: British Heart Foundation), 2016 -.
Member, Governance Board and Faculty, NIHR Collaboration for Leadership in Applied Health Research and Care (CLAHRC) East Midlands, 2016 -.
Member, 999 EMS Research Forum, 2017 -.
Member, Australian Family Physician Editorial Advisory Board, 2017 -.