About Niko Kargas
My main research focus is on understanding the role of sensory and perceptual processes in the expression of autistic behaviours and abilities and how these influence functional life.
I use my research for developing innovative accessible services and for creating autism-friendly environments. My goal is to promote an inclusive society by creating easy to implement and effective person-centred approaches to assist professionals across Education and Health and Social Services for enriching the life quality of people with hidden disabilities (such as autism) and their families.
I am currently engaged on the design, development, deployment and evaluation of innovative:
- Interactive educational technologies for children with Special Educational Needs and/or Autism Spectrum Conditions.
- Person-centred employment support services for people on the autism spectrum and/or learning disabilities.
- Accessible Tourism & Hospitality Services.
- Animal-Assisted interventions for people on the autism spectrum.
I would be interested to supervise students on any of the above topics.
Director of the Autism Research & Innovation Centre
Lead-organiser of the Summer Scientist Week
Board Member of the Social Science Enterprise Working Group
Lectures on Developing Individual in Society (Level 1)
Module co-ordinator for Psychological Literacy & Work Experience (Level 2)
Research group tutor for Research Skills 2 (Level 2)
Research Intern supervision (Level 2)
Lectures on Autism Spectrum Disorders (Level 3)
Lectures on Research Skills in Developmental Psychology (MSc)
Personal tutor for undergraduate students
BSc, MSc & PhD thesis supervision
Autism, Accessible Services, Animal-Assisted Interventions, Educational Technologies, Employment
PhD in Psychology
— University of Portsmouth, 2014
MSc in Psychological Research Methods
— University of Dundee, 2011
BSc in Psychology
— University of Abertay Dundee, 2010
External Activities and Consultancy
As an autism specialist consultant, I use my research to develop innovative autism-appropriate services and practices as well as to create autism-friendly environments. Specifically, I provide strategic planning and service development support to:
- Regional statutory agencies such as the Department for Work and Pensions (i.e., JobCentre Plus) and the Lincolnshire County Council, in which I am member of the Autism Partnership Board
- Community Groups such as the Linkage Community Trust
- Tourism and hospitality enterprises such as Psychagogia Sensory Integration Holidays Ltd
- Education & Art Technology Companies such as Seeper Ltd