Principal Lecturer (Teaching)
Lincoln School of Film & Media
College of Arts
About Janice Kearns
Janice worked in the independent sector as a producer of broadcast documentaries before coming to teaching.
School Director of Teaching and Learning
Chair of School Programme Leaders’ Forum
College of Arts Education and Students Committee
Documentary production, filmmaking and screenwriting
MA Media and Cultural Studies
— University of Lincoln, 2008
PGCHE Teaching and Learning
— University of Portsmouth, 2003
BA(Hons) Graphic Design
— Humberside CHE,
Trustee of Lincoln Film Society
Research Groups Memberships
‘Telling Our Stories’, support for Heritage Lottery Fund communities groups. (PI: Dr Leslie Hicks)
— awarded £37600 by AHRC in 2013
‘Looking Back for the Future: The Value of the Past in Developing the Lives of Young People’ (PI: Dr Leslie Hicks)
— awarded £19543 by AHRC in 2012
Midlands on Film
— MACE / UK Film Council in 2011
- Kearns, Janice (2014) Like water for chocolate / Como agua para chocolate (1991). In: The Routledge Encyclopedia of Films. Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon, pp. 161-164. ISBN 9780415688932, 9781315773834
- Kearns, Janice (2014) Y Tu Mamá También (2001). In: The Routledge encyclopedia of films. Routledge, Abingdon, Oxon, pp. 614-616. ISBN 9780415688932, 9781315773834
- Kearns, Janice and Lockwood, Dean (2010) As if we didn't know who he was: Mark E. Smith's untimeliness. In: Mark E. Smith and The Fall: art, music and politics. Ashgate Popular and Folk Music . Ashgate. ISBN 9780754668626
- Coley, Rob and Kearns, Janice and OMeara, Adam (2014) The ins and outs of imaging: community filmmaking beyond representation. In: Community Filmmaking and Cultural Diversity: Practice, Innovation and Policy, 22-23 January, 2014, BFI Southbank.
- Coley, Rob and Kearns, Janice and Lockwood, Dean (2012) Dreams never end: Carol Morley’s documentary fabulation. In: Powers of the False, 18-19 May 2012, Institut Francais, London.
- Kearns, Janice (2009) Two point four children: ‘parenting programmes’ as the guardians of traditional family values. In: The Big Reveal II – Lifestyle Television conference, 29-30 May 2009, University of Brighton.
- Kearns, Janice and Lockwood, Dean (2008) As if we didn’t know who he was: The untimely power of Mark E Smith and The Fall. In: Messing Up The Paintwork: The aesthetics and politics of Mark E Smith and The Fall, 9 May 2008, University of Salford.
- Kearns, Janice and Forster, Marcella (2013) Footprints in the sand: holidays on the Lincolnshire coast. [Video]
- Forster, Marcella and Kearns, Janice and Hall, Brian and O'Meara, Adam and Roche, Lucas and Samuel Karl, Bohn and Benson, Polly and Hainstock, Chris (2009) The Lamb and Flag. [Video]
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy