Senior Lecturer / Programme Leader
Lincoln Law School
College of Social Science
About Graham Melling
Graham Melling is a Senior Lecturer in Law in Lincoln Law School specialising in Public International Law, in particular in the areas of use of force, intervention, aggression and customary international law. He is always interested to hear from prospective research students within his subject specialisms.
Graham is the LLM (Taught) Programme Leader. He teaches the LLM modules in International Law, International Human Rights Law, International Criminal Justice, International Dispute Resolution and Research Methods.
In addition Graham teaches LLB modules: Human Rights in the UK; Human Rights in a Global Context; Tort Law and European Union Law.
Graham is also the director of Lincoln Law School’s Law in a Global Context Research Group. Graham arranges the Lincoln Law School Research Seminar Series bringing nationally and internationally respected researchers to the law school each term to discuss their research for the benefit of both staff and students.
LL.M Progamme Leader
Co-director Law in a Global Context Research Group
Law School representative on College of Social Science Academic Affairs Committee
Post-graduate research supervision: currently 3 PhD students
LL.M modules - International Law; International Human Rights Law; International Criminal Justice; International Dispute Resolution and Research Methods
LL.B modules - Human Rights in the UK; Human Rights in a Global Context; Tort Law; European Union Law
Public International Law: use of force; customary international law; rule change and rule creation; IR/IL theory intersections
Ph.D International Law
— University of Reading,
— University of Sheffield,
Customary International Law
IR/IL Theory Intersections
public international law
Rule Change and Rule Creation
United Nations Charter
Use of Force
Research Groups Memberships
- Melling, Graham (2018) Beyond rhetoric? Evaluating the Responsibility to Protect as a norm of humanitarian intervention. Journal on the Use of Force and International Law . ISSN 2053-1702
- Melling, Graham (2015) The exercise of external self-determination by indigenous groups: an examination of the Republic of Lakotah and the inherent sovereignty of American indigenous peoples. Sri Lanka Journal of International and Comparative Law, 1 . p. 49. ISSN 2424-6883
- Grimal, Francis and Melling, Graham (2012) The protection of nationals abroad: lawfulness or toleration? A commentary. Journal of Conflict and Security Law, 16 (3). pp. 541-554. ISSN 1467-7954
- Melling, Graham (2012) Indigenous self-determination: the root of state resistance. Denning Law Journal, 24 . pp. 117-137. ISSN 0269-1922
- Melling, Graham (2011) British action in Libya: the lawful protection of nationals abroad? Denning Law Journal, 23 (1). pp. 165-177. ISSN 0269-1922
Higher Education Academy
— Associate Fellow of Higher Education Academy