Lincoln Institute for Health
College of Social Science
About Arwel Jones
Arwel joined the Lincoln Institute for Health (LIH) in April 2015 to support the development of Respiratory research that spans the pathway from ‘bench to bedside’ and ‘cell to community’.
Arwel’s current research projects investigate the beneficial effects that exercise-based interventions (pulmonary rehabilitation) can have on the immune system and subsequent risk of respiratory infections (exacerbations) in people living with COPD. Arwel is currently exploring potential strategies to overcome barriers to patient compliance and long-term maintenance of such interventions. Arwel is also interested in the potential detrimental effects that exercise can have on some populations (increased susceptibility to respiratory infections in athletes) and ways in which this can be countered. Arwel also has a keen interest in developing systematic reviews and meta-analyses with colleagues based at the University and externally (e.g. Cochrane Airways Group).
Previously, Arwel completed a PhD entitled “Effects of bovine colostrum on immune responses to prolonged exercise and upper respiratory illness in active males” with a Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship. This was a collaborative project between The Golden Dairy and Aberystwyth University. The scholarship was part-funded by the European Social Fund through the European Union’s Convergence Programme (West Wales and the Valleys) and administered by the Welsh Government. On completion of his PhD, Arwel was appointed as a postdoctoral researcher, a position that was jointly funded by Hywel Dda University Health Board and the Department of Sport and Exercise Science at Aberystwyth University. He was involved in various projects developing novel methods in the management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) at the Clinical Research Centre of Prince Phillip Hospital (Llanelli).
- Supervision of PhD students
- Research mentoring for NHS staff
- Support grant development for research groups within LIH
- Delivery of systematic review training to staff and students
- LIH representative on the School of Health and Social Care Postgraduate Progress Committee
COPD; Exercise Immunology; Exercise Physiology; Systematic Reviews
Sports Science PhD
— Aberystwyth University, 2014
Postgraduate Certificate in Teaching in Higher Education
— Aberystwyth University, 2014
Biology and Sports Science BSc (Hons)
— Aberystwyth University, 2010
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Research Groups Memberships
- Lincoln Institute for Health
Use of Monitor Me in COPD
— awarded £50000 by Medilink East Midlands in 2017
Pulmonary rehabilitation and behaviour change in COPD
— Doctoral Training Alliance PhD Studentship in 2016
Responses to seasonal influenza (flu) vaccination in clinical phenotypes of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
— awarded £10000 by in 2016
Changes in Inflammatory Markers during Pulmonary Rehabilitation based on Exacerbation Status in COPD (CIMPRES)
— Doctoral Training Alliance PhD Studentship in 2015
Consumption of a natural product (bovine colostrum) and levels of prohibited substances in athletes
— awarded £2200 by in 2015
Developing the Lincolnshire joint research agenda for chronic health conditions
— awarded £74000 by in 2015
Exercise and neutrophil function in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
— awarded £18000 by in 2014
In vitro neutrophil function from the blood and sputum of recurrent exacerbators and stable pateints with moderate to severe COPD
— awarded £2600 by in 2014
- Nelson, David and Mcgonagle, Ian and Curtis, Ffion and Jones, Arwel and Kane, Ros and Maclean, Shona (2017) Barriers and facilitators to self-management in people living with and beyond cancer (PLWABC): a systematic review of qualitative evidence (PROTOCOL). PROSPERO International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews . ISSN .
- Jenkins, Alex and Curtis, Ffion and Jones, Arwel and Gowler, Holly (2017) Efficacy of supervised exercise following pulmonary rehabilitation on health status: systematic review protocol. PROSPERO International prospective register of systematic reviews . ISSN .
- Cooke, Samuel and Curtis, Ffion and Bridle, Christopher and Jones, Arwel and Robinson, Hayley and Simmons, Laura (2017) Investigating the effect of exercise, cognitive, and dual-task interventions upon cognitive function in type 2 diabetes mellitus: systematic review protocol. PROSPERO: International prospective register of systematic reviews . ISSN .
- Cox, Karen and Macleod, Susan C. and Sim, Caroline J. and Jones, Arwel J. and Trueman, Jacqui (2017) Avoiding hospital admission in COPD: impact of a specialist nursing team. British Journal of Nursing, 26 (3). pp. 152-158. ISSN 0966-0461
- Jones, Arwel W. and Taylor, Abigail and Gowler, Holly and O'Kelly, Noel and Ghosh, Sudip and Bridle, Christopher (2017) Systematic review of interventions to improve patient uptake and completion of pulmonary rehabilitation in COPD. ERJ Open Research, 3 (1). 00089. ISSN 2312-0541
- Jones, Arwel W. and Robinson, Richard and Mohamed, Peer and Davison, Glen and Izzat, Hassan J. and Lewis, Keir E. (2016) Impaired blood neutrophil function in the frequent exacerbator of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a proof of concept study. Lung, 194 (6). pp. 881-887. ISSN 0341-2040
- Bareham, David and Ahmadi, Keivan and Elie, Mathieu and Jones, Arwel W. (2016) E-cigarettes: controversies within the controversy. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, 4 (11). pp. 868-869. ISSN 2213-2600
- Jones, Arwel W. and March, Daniel S. and Curtis, Ffion and Bridle, Christopher (2016) Bovine colostrum supplementation and upper respiratory symptoms during exercise training: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMC Sports Science, Medicine and Rehabilitation, 8 (21). ISSN 2052-1847
- Davison, Glen and Kehaya, Corinna and Jones, Arwel Wyn (2016) Nutritional and physical activity interventions to improve immunity. American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine, 10 (3). pp. 152-169. ISSN 1559-8276
- Jones, A. W. and Thatcher, R. and March, D. S. and Davison, G. (2015) Influence of 4 weeks of bovine colostrum supplementation on neutrophil and mucosal immune responses to prolonged cycling. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 25 (6). pp. 788-796. ISSN 0905-7188
- Davison, Glen and Jones, Arwel Wyn (2015) Oral neutrophil responses to acute prolonged exercise may not be representative of blood neutrophil responses. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism = Physiologie appliquée, nutrition et métabolisme, 40 (3). pp. 298-301. ISSN 1715-5320
- Jones, Arwel W. and Cameron, Simon J. S. and Thatcher, Rhys and Beecroft, Marikka S. and Mur, Luis A. J. and Davison, Glen (2014) Effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on upper respiratory illness in active males. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 39 . pp. 194-203. ISSN 0889-1591
- Jones, Arwel and Thatcher, Rhys and Mur, Luis A. J. and Cameron, Simon J. S. and Beecroft, Marikka and Davison, Glen (2013) Exploring the mechanisms behind the effects of chronic bovine colostrum supplementation on risk of upper respiratory tract infection. International Journal of Exercise Science: Conference Proceedings, 10 (1). ISSN 1939-795X
- Cooke, Samuel and Jones, Arwel and Bridle, Christopher and Smith, Mark F. and Pennington, Kyla and Curtis, Ffion (2017) Investigating the effect of exercise, cognitive and dual-task interventions upon cognitive function in type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-analysis. In: Psychology Presence in the Midlands 2017, 13 Sept 2017, Derby.
- Robinson, Hayley and Williams, Veronika and Bridle, Christopher and Jones, Arwel (2017) What are the patient reported facilitators and barriers to physical activity following pulmonary rehabilitation in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)? A systematic review of qualitative research. In: Psychology Presence in the Midlands 2017, 13 Sept 2017, Derby.
- Jones, Arwel (2014) The effects of bovine colostrum supplementation on in vivo cell-mediated immune response following prolonged exercise. In: 19th Annual Congress of the European College of Sport Science, 2 - 5 July 2014, Amsterdam.
- Jones, A. and Thatcher, R. and Davison, G. (2011) The effect of acute bovine colostrum supplementation on neutrophil responses to prolonged cycling. In: 10th Symposium of the International Society of Exercise and Immunology, 11 - 13 July 2011, Oxford.